Position Description & Responsibilities
As an experienced mainframe software developer, you understand the importance of the mainframe in the world today and for the next 50 years. The ideal candidate will become a member of a team working on industry leading software products used by application programmers around the world. You will be part of a team that is revolutionizing a 50 year old industry and performing like a startup. Using agile development, you will help deliver software that will impact the speed of business.
- Participate in SCRUM meetings as a part of Agile development
- Create general system design
- Create technical specifications, clearly defining the programming effort required for new and changed programs, and interfaces to existing products
- Provide estimates for the programming effort defined in the technical specifications
- Identify potential roadblocks and develop around them
- Develop code that matches the prototype and specification, is maintainable and, as necessary, portable to other environments
- Perform problem determination for production release and create source code changes to provide solutions
- Complete implementation within time estimates
- Assist Technical Writer in developing technical documentation, and review materials for technical accuracy
- Mentor other Developers, Support or Quality Assurance in understanding product architecture, new functionality, and in identifying strategies for problem resolution
- Occasionally contact customers to understand problems or to provide a technical explanation
- Perform other duties as required
- Plan the implementation of new products and enhancements as reflected by the architecture
- Proficient in z/OS Assembler and C programming languages
- In-depth knowledge of z/OS internals and operating system component internals.
- Solid understanding of how to utilize system user exits and other system extension techniques
- Significant knowledge of and practical experience with z/OS programming languages and software development techniques
- Significant knowledge in CICS and MQ Series environments
- Sufficient knowledge of TCP/IP and Websphere
- Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills using system dumps
- Self-motivated / takes initiative
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to write code that is maintainable, extendible and has minimal bugs
- Ability to understand requirements and ask appropriate questions for clarification, as necessary
- Ability to analyze marketing requirements and external prototypes and to identify design and implementation alternatives
- Ability to understand and adhere to the project goal without necessarily agreeing with it
- Agile development experience and/or knowledge is preferred
Compuware empowers the world’s largest companies to excel in the digital economy by fully leveraging their high-value mainframe intellectual property. We do this by delivering highly innovative mainframe application development and performance optimization solutions that uniquely enable IT to drive business value. Learn more at: compuware.com
The company’s ongoing success depends on our employees–a diverse team of people with a set of key, common attributes. We seek positive, high-energy, innovative and assertive team players who have a strong desire to succeed in a team- and customer-oriented environment.
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Personal, Sick Days and a company matching 401(k) Plan. We are an EOE -Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans and VEVRAA Federal Contractor.